Company: Duke Health
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: September 16, 2023
Duke Regional Hospital offers the personal touch and hometown
feel of a community hospital while serving as an essential arm of
internationally recognized Duke University Health System.Duke
Regional has served Durham, Orange, Person, Granville and Alamance
counties for more than 45 years. To be successful at caring for our
community and have a strong reputation among patients who seek our
care, we have 3,500 team members who work together to provide
exceptional, compassionate and equitable healthcare 24/7. We are a
place of learning and acceptance for team members just starting
their careers, as well as an institution of family culture and
professional development for employees who have served for decades
in our hospital units.Duke Regional has 388 inpatient beds and
offers a comprehensive range of medical, surgical and diagnostic
services, including orthopedics, weight-loss surgery, women's
services, and heart and vascular services. We also offer care at
our Duke Rehabilitation Institute, Davis Ambulatory Surgical
Center, Duke Ambulatory Surgery Center Arringdon, Health Services
Center, and Duke Behavioral Health Center North Durham. In fiscal
year 2021, Duke Regional Hospital admitted 16,422 patients,
performed 18,152 surgeries and welcomed 2,673 babies into the
world.U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Regional Hospital as #9
in North Carolina and #4 in the Raleigh-Durham area for 2021-22.
The Human Rights Campaign consistently names us a Healthcare
Equality Leader, and we are a Joint Commission-accredited and
Magnet-designated hospital.ARCP - Advanced Respiratory Care
Practitioner - Duke Regional Hospital - NightsDuke Regional
Hospital seeks to hire an Advanced Respiratory Care Practitioner
who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together. Duke
Regional Hospital's focus is on providing outstanding medical care
with compassionate, personalized service in a comfortable community
hospital setting. Duke Regional Hospital offers 388 inpatient beds
and offers a comprehensive range of medical, surgical, and
diagnostic services. Duke Regional's Respiratory Care team provides
services for a 22-bed ICU and a 50-bed Emergency Room as well as
medical, surgical, neurology, oncology, and cardiovascular general
care areas. The team provides services for Level II Nursery, Labor
and Delivery services, Rehabilitation unit, and Behavioral Health
unit. Duke Regional's Respiratory Care practice includes
intubation, critical care bronchoscopy, blood gas iSTAT testing,
PFTs, heliox/nitric oxide therapy, EKGs, ventilator management by
therapist protocol and consultation in interdisciplinary rounds in
additional to standard Respiratory Care therapeutics. Duke Regional
Hospital is located in Durham, NC.General Description of the Job
ClassPerform and evaluate diagnostic and therapeutic clinical
procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of
clinical practice, performing work in accordance with physician
orders in the adult patient population.Duties and Responsibilities
of this Level
- Perform all duties and responsibilities required of a
Respiratory Care Practitioner I.
- Evaluate appropriateness of medical orders.
- Proficient in the application of mechanical ventilator
- Proficient in the application of Non-Invasive Positive Pressure
Ventilation (NPPV); Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) and
Bi-Level Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP)
- Perform endotracheal intubation and extubations under the
observation of a Supervisor or Advanced Practitioner.
- Serve as member of the code/emergency team.
- Administer medical gases.
- Insert nasogastric and orogastric tubes.
- Perform tracheotomy tube changes and capnography
- Transport patients requiring mechanical ventilation or airway
- Interpret clinical data to optimize patient clinical
- Participate in clinical rounds with physicians, nurses and
other health care providers
- Assist with Bronchoscopy and assist with orientation and
training of Level II RT.
- Assure safe operations of devices in the MRI.
- Qualified for certification in the hyperbaric chamber, if
applicable to the institution scope of practiceRequired
Qualifications at this LevelEducation
- Completion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program
(Associates Degree or the equivalent).
- Must maintain annual skill maintenance and annual
- Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for
- Six months to one year of clinical experience following
graduation from a respiratory care program.Degrees, Licensure,
- North Carolina State Licensure
- Registry ( RRT) by the National Association for Respiratory
- Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Certification in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Certification in Neonatal Resuscitation (NRPS) if applicable to
institutionKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and
interaction relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation/certification of competencies for the duties
and responsibilities required for a Level I RT.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family
members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health
- Work is performed in all areas of the hospital.
- Work may require lifting or pushing in excess of 30
- Required to carry emergency airway bag weighing approximately
- Work requires walking, running, climbing and bending.
- Customer service and communication expertise. Duke is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to
providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's
age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity,
genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community
built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our
collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an
exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives,
backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange,
it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and
welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected,
and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a
responsibility to uphold these values. Essential Physical Job
Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University
Health System may include essentialjob functions that require
specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information
and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be
provided by each hiring department.
Keywords: Duke Health, Chapel Hill , Respiratory Therapist, Healthcare , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!