Company: The Marcus Corporation
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: June 5, 2019
POSITION PURPOSE: Responsible for all food preparation, production,
and control of labor and food costs for all food outlets and
banquet operations to meet hotels high standards of quality.
- Interview, hire, train, supervise, schedule, and participate in
activities of chefs, cooks, and other personnel involved in
preparing, cooking, and presenting food in accordance with recipe
notation, productivity standards, cost controls, and forecast
- Select, train, schedule, supervise, and counsel all members of
stewarding department in accordance with established standards for
safety, productivity, and performance. Delegates dish and equipment
washing and silver polishing activities.
- Direct staff in maintaining the cleanliness of the back of the
house areas including: main kitchen, storage areas, dumpsters,
loading dock, the associate dining room, and ware washing areas.
Manages general cleaning schedule so that the food service areas
meet or exceed the health inspection requirements.
- Maintains the inventory and coordinate the distribution of all
big four items: china, glassware, and silver, which also include
visual inspection to ensure cleanliness and safe
- Ensure that all standards of cleanliness and maintenance are
consistently met throughout the department by all associates per
Marcus Hotels and Resorts, Marriott and the City of Chapel Hill
Health Department standards.
- Attend in-house meetings as required by your position,
including BEO, Resume, staff meetings and any other meetings deemed
necessary to your position.
- Listen actively and communicate clearly while interacting with
internal and external customers to promote food products and direct
staff activities. Analyze feedback from clients and associates,
make judgments, and take action to implement suggestions for
- Maintain working rapport with all hotel staff for efficient
operation and service to customers.
- Monitor staff performance, product quality and production flow;
foster improvement where necessary.
- Create and implement new menus and individual menu items for
all outlets and banquet functions based on current food trends
regional tastes and seasonal price fluctuations. Develop innovative
menu selections for special banquet themes and parties in
accordance with client budgetary considerations and expectations.
Confer with Director of Food & Beverage and General Manager
regarding new selections and changes.
- Audit food storeroom items, market sheets and storage to
maintain consistent quality products to ensure adherence to all
health code requirements.
- Enforce safety procedures and cleanliness throughout kitchen(s)
including walk-in and reach-in boxes.
- Create, strengthen, and maintain internal relations with
purchasing and receiving, food & beverage, stewarding and banquet
teams, and external relations with vendors.
- Oversee hiring, training and counseling of associates ensuring
fairness and a timely delivery to include verbal communications,
preparation of written documentation for administration with
associate(s) along and issuance of performance appraisals.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (continued):
- Represent the property in the community when the occasion
- Assist with creation and planning of annual food budget to
include capital items and/or capital expenditure projects. Assume
responsibility to insure departmental spending and payroll remains
within budgeted guidelines.
- Ensures compliance with all local, state, and federal rules and
- Dine at local and regional restaurants to observe the latest
trends in food presentation and pricing.
- Prepare all food items and train culinary team according to
- Monitor outlets during peak periods to oversee production flow
- Maintain vacation schedule for proper staffing.
- Acts in capacity of Manager-On-Duty, Lobby Ambassador and any
other management capacity as assigned.
- Oversees development of staff for succession planning.
- Create year-over-year improvement in associate satisfaction
scores throughout the department.
- Ensure appropriate standards of conduct, dress, hygiene, and
appearance are maintained.
- Ensure regular departmental meetings are being held.
- Fully knowledgeable with the hotel's Fire, Safety, Security,
and Environmental procedures.
- Instill a working knowledge and train Marcus Hotels and Resorts
policies and procedures, OSHA standards and procedures and Marriott
Standards in the department.
- Represent the hotel with professionalism and decorum.
- Perform all other related duties and special projects as
requested and/or assigned. POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- High School education required. Minimum of 2 years formal
- Must have a minimum of two to three years prior experience as
an Executive Chef.
- CPR certification and/or First Aid training preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of mathematical skills (addition,
subtraction, multiplication, and division) necessary to interpret
reports and budgets.
- Considerable knowledge of basic computer operations and
software as it pertains to inventory control, menu creations,
- Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight to marketing,
cost, and wage control.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, insight into marketing,
cost, wage control, standard recipes, and proper preparation.
- Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgments to ensure
proper payroll and production control.
- Finger/hand dexterity in order to operate food machinery.
- Ability to grasp, lift, and/or carry, or otherwise move goods
weighing up to 100 lbs. on a continuous schedule.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings, and maintain
communication lines between line staff and Director of Food &
- Ability to stand, walk, and/or sit continuously perform
essential functions for an extended period of time.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external
customers some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact,
and diplomacy and collect accurate information to resolve
- Hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of
emergency situations; distinguish product, taste, texture, and
presentation; and observe preparation.
- Must be able to use all cleaning equipment and materials.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (continued):
- Must be able to work a varied schedule to include days,
evenings, weekends, holidays and the ability to work under
- Must be able to represent the company in a professional,
well-groomed and courteous manner.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills to
include the ability to read, write, speak, and understand the
- Ability to develop subordinates to enhance advancement in the
hotel and corporation.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an active ServSafe Training
Certification as well as any additional training/ certification
requirements per Marcus Hotels & Resorts, and Marriott.
Keywords: The Marcus Corporation, Chapel Hill , Executive Chef, Other , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!