Vocational Work Force Counselor - Burn Unit - UNC Medical Center
Company: UNC Health Care
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: May 23, 2023
Description Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.Summary:
Responsible for providing the population served by the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center with the capacity for rehabilitation planning, disability adjustment counseling, vocational development and placement, disability management and systematic follow-up. The Rehabilitation Counselor practices in both inpatient clinical areas, with extension to the outpatient areas to provide continuity of care. Work is self-planned and self-directed with minimal supervision.
1. Barrier removal--Works with employer, nurse case manager, attorney, insurance adjustor, injured employee and others toward individual's return to work and home with adequate accommodations (disability management) in accordance with the ADA.
2. Case Management--Manages caseload of individuals to maximize independence and employability of burn-injured adults coping with medical, personal, social, and vocational difficulties that result from accidents. Assists patients in implementing their treatment plan. Recommends and coordinates service delivery, utilizing community and in-house resources. Follows up with patients after discharge.
3. Compliance and liaison services- Facilitates the Final rating clinic in collaboration with the NC Jaycee Burn center medical director monthly to review and close workers' compensation claims for injured workers admitted into the center. Requires knowledge and understanding of the workers' compensation system and requirements. Develops and maintains system of compliance for workers compensation for injured workers in Epic to ensure appropriate billing, timely referrals, and closed loop communication amongst providers and insurance companies alike.
4. Conducts vocational assessments to assess job readiness, prevent secondary injury, manage pain by gathering information related to work history, job analysis, transferability of skills, and other factors related to vocational functioning. Identifies significant employability factors and recommends services to eliminate vocational barriers
5. Ensures that all vocational rehabilitation services are initiated and coordinated for patients. Develops an individualized written treatment plan with members of the Burn Team, which addresses the mental, emotional and psychosocial adjustment to maximize potential functioning. Complies with the Industrial Commission protocol for worker's compensation injuries and ensures appropriate documentation is completed.
6. Gathers, evaluates and integrates medical, vocational, psychological, social and economic information on the patient to identify strengths, weaknesses and needs with regard to rehabilitation. Evaluates and assesses pre-injury statuses, nature of the burn, impact of disfigurement, reaction to injury/treatment, and psychological adjustments.
7. Works with the multidisciplinary team to develop research programs and carry out the research protocol.
Other InformationOther information:
* Master's degree in Rehabilitation Counseling or Rehabilitation Psychology.
* Certified Rehabilitation Counselor by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification. Will provide 6 months to obtain the certification.
Professional Experience Requirements:
* Two (2) years of progressive experience as an independent rehabilitation counselor in a direct patient care setting with an emphasis on multidisciplinary team participation, vocational assessment and disability management.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Job DetailsLegal Employer: STATEEntity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Surgery Inpatient Management Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00Work Schedule: Day JobLocation of Job: US:NC:Chapel HillExempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
Keywords: UNC Health Care, Chapel Hill , Vocational Work Force Counselor - Burn Unit - UNC Medical Center, Other , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
here to apply!