Sr Program Manager
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Why Join IntraHealth?
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has
worked for over 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the
performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which
they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need
IntraHealth's programs generate long-term social and economic
impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and
prosperous. And our dynamic staff is passionate about global health
and committed to excellence.
Join us. The future of global health starts here.
Summary of Job
The senior program manager (SPM) is a senior leader within the
Center for Program Delivery & Learning. The individual directly
supervises HQ-based program managers/program officers and reports
to the program director. The SPM will ensure high-quality program
delivery as well as the adherence to organizational and donor
requirements through the oversight of both technical and program
deliverables. Main responsibilities include operational management
and coordination throughout the project life cycle; technical
quality management and collaboration by providing direct technical
assistance and/or sourcing relevant technical experts that will
support IntraHealth International's signature tools and approaches;
contributing to new business development through proposal
development, project design and technical writing, identifying new
business opportunities; and people management that will support
project functions and foster cohesion and collaboration. The SPM
functions as the central organizer for resolving program delivery
issues across the organization. They may be expected to temporarily
assume tasks from a director as needed.
Education & Experience
- Advanced degree in public health, international health, or
related fields is required
- Minimum of ten years of advancing experience managing
multi-year, international USG and non-USG health programs (e.g.,
FP, HIV, MCH, HRH, integrated health)
- Minimum of three years of experience in new business
development (i.e., leading proposal development, proposal writing,
proposal management, donor mapping) is required
- Experience managing professional staff, including leading a
team within a low- and middle-income country setting
- Experience working in a management role in an HQ office.
Skills & Requirements
- Can analyze and interpret data to inform program and resource
- Able to balance competing priorities and deadlines, while
maintaining exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to achieve
results through collaboration with colleagues, partner
organizations, and donors is required.
- Strong writing and oral presentation skills
- Fluency in English and Spanish required
- International and domestic travel for this position is
estimated to be 25%.
- Organizational competencies include: Communication &
Collaboration; Ethics & Integrity; Functional & People Management;
and Professional Skills.
Key Performance Areas
Operational Management & Coordination | 40%
- Serve as primary CPDL point of contact at HQ and provide
oversight for assigned programmatic and operational project
activities and issues, including compliance, revenue projections,
spending, staffing, and procurement.
- Coordinate country-based project teams and appropriate HQ
departments (e.g. HR; Finance and Accounting; Contracts,
Procurement, and Pricing) to ensure excellence throughout project
life cycle from start-up to closeout.
- Monitor and track project implementation and recommend actions
as needed for project activities to meet or exceed donor and key
stakeholder expectations and requirements.
- Review and provide feedback on performance metrics, financial
status, deliverables, and progress against audit recommendations
and escalate issues to program director as needed.
- Support project directors to develop and carry out Learning
Plans, Country Portfolio Review Meetings, and data review
- Work closely with Measurement & Learning (located in both HQ
and in-country) to support implementation of evidence-based
interventions that achieve expected results.
- Identify, initiate, and support adaptive management to achieve
greater and more sustained results as well as champion a culture of
data use among project teams.
Technical Quality Management & Collaboration | 25%
- Collaborate with the Center for Technical Excellence (CTE) to
ensure program quality.
- Provide country teams with direct technical assistance, as well
as identify, approve, and coordinate other technical assistance
that is responsive and high-quality.
- Partner with in-country project leadership to ensure
high-quality workplans are developed and project deliverables are
completed on time and in accordance with project scope of
- Ensure project teams involve partners and key stakeholders to
design project workplans that are feasible, responsive to local
needs, reasonable in cost, and deliver sustainable results.
- Support program visibility by ensuring project teams document
innovations, results, and impact in technical publications and
journals and participate in relevant working groups and
- Partner with CTE and M&L to contribute to cross-program
learning to deepen development solutions that are locally relevant,
successful, and sustainable.
- Conduct frequent project reviews to assess progress and the
quality of work being conducted.
New Business Development | 20%
- Partner with Business Development (BD) to engage in the
strategic growth and diversification of IntraHealth International's
portfolio, including programmatic growth planning, and donor and
partner mapping and cultivation.
- Monitor and provide guidance to identify and establish the
ongoing cultivation of country and/or regional private sector
partnerships and alliances.
- Participate in research and/or pre-positioning for new business
opportunities under the programmatic area that s/he supports.
- Support all aspects of proposal development with an emphasis on
budgeting oversight, partner and cost share identification,
management and workplan development, project start-up, and serving
as hiring manager for non-key positions.
- Work with technical team to develop responsive and sound
technical strategy including participating in log frame, SWOT, win
themes, and strategy sessions.
- When required, serve as technical lead, working closely with BD
manager and CTE.
People Management | 15%
- Ensure the selection, recruitment, and retention of the
best-qualified talent by providing strong supervision through
performance support, mentoring, and professional development
- Support professional growth by identifying capacities needed to
achieve programmatic and technical goals and work with staff to
ensure those capacities are developed.
- Provide timely and constructive feedback to program staff
through proper goal setting and performance assessments.
- Develop high-performing teams by promoting an environment in
which proactive thinking, ongoing development, and creativity is
encouraged and rewarded.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and
prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer
competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which
supports health workers, so they can improve the lives of people
throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability
status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic
protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure
equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also
to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their
compensation or the compensation of other applicants or
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about "Who We Are" @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
Keywords: IntraHealth, Chapel Hill , Sr Program Manager, Other , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!