Job Description - CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER (CMO) (OTH01PQG)
CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER (CMO) ( Job Number: OTH01PQG )
Description As CMO, this position provides professional guidance
to medical staff and senior executive leadership and the Governing
Board on matters relating to medical care and the medical staff,
including physician business relationships and employed physicians.
In cooperation with leadership of UNC Physicians Network, the CMO
will provide senior executive leadership in facilitating medical
staff interactions within the physician governance structures to
facilitate demonstration of value and compliance with regulatory
agencies. This position will manage and advance the clinical
practice performance of the medical staff. This position will also
facilitate improvements in performance on value based contracts,
advancing towards optimal patient quality, affordability, and
experience while enhancing clinician and staff engagement.
Description of Job Responsibilities:
1. Management oversight and accountability of clinical services
for UNC Physicians Network, including: Ensuring the goals and
operating procedures of clinical areas align with the priorities of
UNC Physicians Network and UNC Physicians; Planning and executing
annual budgets and personnel management of clinical areas; Leading
Medical Staff affairs, and in doing so, serving as the
administrative liaison to the System Chief Medical Officer,
department chairpersons and committee chairpersons, medical
directors and assisting in managing Medical Staff affairs; Ensuring
ongoing operational excellence within assigned hospital
2. Ensures excellence in partnering with UNC School of Medicine
to further the academic mission of UNCHCS, specifically optimizing
research and teaching capacity within UNCPN.
3. Provide clinical leadership in accreditation activities,
including: Partnering with the Accreditation and Risk Management to
ensure ongoing preparedness for regulatory surveys; and serving as
the principle clinical point person during on-site surveys.
4. Manage physician leaders including Executive Medical
Directors and, Executive Clinical Director, and service leader
contracts, including: Developing and maintaining standard
expectations and performance metrics for all medical director and
service leader contracts; Ensuring the Executive Medical Directors
provide appropriate supervision of all medical directors. ;
Collaborating with physician and senior leaders to perform annual
evaluations of all contracted roles; and Collaborate with leaders
to address instances of unmet performance metrics/expectations.
5. Participates in UNCHCS and UNCP strategic plan and business
plan development including identification of strategic partners,
growth and resource allocation and accountable with CEO for
implementation and planning for execution within UNCPN.
6. Participates as the accountable party for UNCPN with Health
and Senior Alliance and Practice Quality and Innovation teams to
ensure delivery and performance on value based contracts
7. Sustain clinician leadership development program to ensure
robust pipeline for clinical leaders within UNC HCS
8. Partner with Affiliate Hospital CMOs to align on shared
Hospital, UNCPN, UNC Physicians, and UNC Health goals
Qualifications Education Requirements:
· Graduation from an accredited medical school; MD or DO Degree
is required, as is Board Certification in a clinical
· Board Certification in a clinical discipline.
Professional Experience Requirements:
· Requires 10-12 years of progressively responsible experience.
Physician leadership experience as a Medical Director, Clinical
Chair or other significant medico-administrative Chief of Staff
experience is preferred. Experience leading Quality Program
Initiatives such as documentation improvement, experience with
transitional care programs, improving access to care, patient
outcomes, and reducing readmissions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Requirements:
· Exceptional relationship building and networking skills. Knows
how to effectively partner with the medical staff and others to
improve quality of care. Outstanding communication skills. Can
express opinions openly and non-defensively.
· Strong work ethic, unquestionable integrity and character.
· Self-directed, results oriented. Strong analytical and problem
· Approachable, flexible and adaptable to change.
· Strong attention to detail and accuracy, excellent
organizational skills with ability to prioritize, coordinate, and
simultaneously maintain multiple projects with high level of
quality and productivity.
· Visible leader who approaches leadership through regular,
direct communication with medical staff, senior leaders, directors,
and hospital staff.
· Possesses strong knowledge of the healthcare field including
current and future trends, technology and information affecting the
field and organization.
· Ability to negotiate and maneuver through complex situations
and resolve complicated problems and issues.