Nurse Clinician - Pediatric Transplant and Cellular Therapy, expereinced RN
Company: Duke Health
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: November 17, 2023
Duke University Hospital Duke University Hospital is
consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is
known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking
research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient
beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic
facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major
surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery
center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with
nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional
radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked
Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties:
cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear,
nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology
& neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung
surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first
in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area. Inaddition
to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically
dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary
care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and
outpatient surgery centers. Duke Nursing Highlights: -
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year
as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of
Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for
being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance (based on eligibility) - -Nurse
Clinician- Pediatric Transplant and Cellular Therapy -Job Location
- Duke University Hospital -Job SummaryThe Pediatric Transplant and
Cellular Therapy (PTCT) Nurse Clinician provides clinical expertise
and care coordination to children ages 0-21 years referred for bone
marrow or stem cell transplantation. In addition, s/he actively
participates in the professional development of nursing staff. The
PTCT Nurse Clinician is an integral member of the PTCT
interdisciplinary team and of the Center of Advance Practice,
collaborating with her/his colleagues to improve outcomes in the
physical, psychosocial, emotional, spiritual, and educational
domains of the pediatric bone marrow transplant patient and family.
The PTCT Nurse Clinician contributes to excellence in patient care,
research, teaching, and in providing leadership to the
organization. -Job Duties and ResponsibilitiesClinical Expert
- Coordinate the evaluation of new patients and donors entering
the Duke Pediatric Stem Cell Transplant system and serve as an
ongoing clinical expert to patients and families
- Screen all patient referrals for appropriateness of PSCT/PTCT
(in collaboration with the MD); assess availability of donors and
screen as applicable.
- Schedule new patients for initial consultation with PTCT
attending physicians and team members.
- Schedule and coordinate all necessary diagnostic and laboratory
tests for pre-transplant work-up; obtain results and document
appropriately; schedule work-ups specific to disease entity.
- Assess, schedule and coordinate patient/donor home health
- Utilize comprehensive assessment skills to evaluate
patient/donor results; collaborate findings with healthcare
- Arrange necessary pre-transplant surgical, interventional and
diagnostic procedures including central line placement; coordinate
other procedures with nurse practitioner and healthcare team.
- Complete all pre-transplant teaching prior to admission for
transplantation (including but not limited to: - pediatric unit
policies and guidelines, bone marrow function, blood counts,
nutrition, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, side effects, risks,
GVHD, supportive care, and prophylaxis medications).
- Participate in discharge plan of care at time of work-up.
- Telephone triage including, but not limited to: new patient
referrals, general inquiries and long-term follow-up.
- Role model competence in advanced nursing skills -Coaching /
- Identify PSCT/PTCT patient/family education needs and
priorities. - -
- Coach patients and families to help them navigate the
- Participate in developing, implementing and evaluating patient
education resources and programs appropriate to the patient's
developmental level, health literacy level, learning needs,
readiness to learn, and cultural values and beliefs.
- Provide education to individuals, families, groups and
communities to promote knowledge, understanding and optimal
functioning across the wellness-illness continuum.
- Assess learning needs of nursing staff; plan and implement
appropriate educational forums and opportunities to address
critical learning needs and skills.
- Participate in education of nurses and other health care team
- Assist staff in the development of innovative, cost effective
programs or protocols of care
- Establish collaborative relationships within and across
departments that promote patient safety, culturally competent care,
and clinical excellence
- Facilitate intra-agency and inter-agency communication.
- Practice collegially with medical staff and other members of
the healthcare team so that all providers' unique contributions to
health outcomes will be enhanced. -Professional Leadership and
- Facilitate the provision of clinically competent care by
staff/team through education, role modeling, teambuilding, and
- Role model advanced practice professional nursing through
conduct, appearance, communication, mutual respect, leadership,
ethical decision-making, critical thinking, continuous learning and
- Uses effective strategies for changing clinician and team
behavior to encourage adoption of evidence-based practices and
innovations in care delivery.
- Provide leadership in maintaining a supportive and healthy work
- Assume responsibility for professional self-development. -
Quality of work reflects high professional and ethical
- Demonstrate responsibility for professional practice through
active participation in professional organization(s) and obtain a
minimum of required Board of Nursing continuing education
hours/year. -Research Utilization and Investigation and Quality
- Cultivate a climate of clinical inquiry within clinical
- Integrate evidence into the health, illness, and wellness
management of patients, families, communities and groups
- Foster an interdisciplinary approach to quality improvement,
evidence-based practice, research, and translation of research into
- Promote evidence-based practice through staff education and
participation in developing, implementing, and evaluating process
standards such as plans of care, protocols, and guidelines.
- Participate in establishing quality improvement agenda for
unit, department, program, system, or population
- Use quality monitoring data to assess the quality and
effectiveness of clinical programs in meeting outcomes.
- Educate patient and family about clinical trials,
risks/benefits, protocols, and informed consent for PSCT/PTCT.
- Facilitate patient and family understanding of the risks,
benefits, and outcomes of proposed healthcare regimen to promote
informed decision making. -Job Eligibility RequirementsEducation -
- - -
- Graduate of an accredited BSN programLicense - - - - -
- Current unrestricted RN license issued by or recognized by the
- CPHON - and/or BMTCN - Certification preferredExperience
- Minimum 3-year applicable RN clinical experience is required
-OR equivalent combination of relevant education and/ or experience
-Physical and mental requirements:
- Knowledge of professional nursing theory, clinical practice
standards, and scope of a nurse clinician role.
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors,
healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership, and
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and
prioritize information, perform health assessments, treatment, and
- Able to use fine motor skills
- Able to record activities, document assessments &
interventions; prepare reports and presentations
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to provide leadership in clinical area of expertise and in
meeting organizational goals
- Able to navigate the Hospital and DUHS to provide clinical
expertise to specific patient populations
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking with the
ability to move or lift at least fifty pounds
- Able to remain focused and organized -Job Hours1.0 FTE
position, Monday-Friday, 10 hour day shift. Occasional weekend and
holiday coverage may be required. - - Duke is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment
opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color,
disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. - Duke aspires to create a
community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and
belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of
ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our
perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve
this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community
feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals
are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our
community have a responsibility to uphold these values. - Essential
Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke
University Health System may include essentialjob functions that
require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional
information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation
will be provided by each hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Chapel Hill , Nurse Clinician - Pediatric Transplant and Cellular Therapy, expereinced RN, Healthcare , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!