Surgical Technologist- Labor and Delivery
Company: UNC Health Care
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: May 18, 2023
Description *This position qualifies for our UNC Hospital Labor & Delivery Surgical Technologist Incentive program, with includes $10,000 commitment incentive, as well as a $5,000 sign on bonus. In addition, this position is also eligible for up to $10,000 in relocation assistance (based on location). Learn more about our UNC Hospital Labor & Delivery Surgical Technologist Incentive Program here:
Labor and Delivery is seeking a full time Surgical Technologist to work 36 hours per week day/night rotating, including weekends.
Our Labor & Delivery Unit is a Level III referral center, which provides care to both normal and high-risk laboring and ante partum patients. Approximately 3,800 babies are born each year at UNCH. Several thousand patients are also seen in its triage area. In addition, our providers and staff perform numerous high-risk procedures such as vaginal and cerclage placements, amniocentesis and versions as well as various fetal procedures, including IUTs, fetal shunt placements and exit procedures. The unit consists of 15 labor and delivery rooms, 5 triage rooms, a 2-bed recovery room, and 3 operating rooms. Anesthesia coverage is provided 24/7.
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.Summary:
Surgical Technologists (ST) are allied health professionals who assist in the preparation and care of surgical patients ranging from infancy to geriatrics under the general direction of a professional nurse. The ST possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a surgeon's performance of invasive, therapeutic, and diagnostic procedures. The ST who has a dual function in the operating room and the ambulatory setting demonstrates competency in the care of surgical patients preoperatively and postoperatively in the ambulatory surgical clinic setting.
1. SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST I-A (New Hire/Novice) 1. New graduate with up to 12 months of full-time equivalent experience. 2. Perform all responsibilities in a manner that demonstrates Service Excellence towards patients, physicians, peers and other departments. Assume responsibility for upholding the policies and procedures of the department and organization. 3. Demonstrates eagerness to learn, takes direction, adapts to changes within unit, and demonstrates consistent progress toward Surgical Technologist 1-B. 4. Establishes and maintains sterile field and assures team maintains sterile environment. Demonstrate and practice a good understanding of sterile technique. 5. Has a basic knowledge of instrumentations. Prepare Operating Room with appropriate instrumentation, equipment and supplies. 6. Demonstrates correct and safe instrumentation passing and performs sponge, needle and instrument counts in a safe and accurate manner according to established policy. 7. Maintain technical skills to serve a patient population composed of infancy to geriatric clients. 8. Take calls and rotate shifts as required under the direction of a registered nurse. 9. Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure in a stressful environment, and often without relief. 10. Ability to demonstrate knowledge of anatomy relating to the surgical procedure and the instrumentation required in order to effectively anticipate the needs of the surgeon. 11. Ability to set priorities and respond appropriately to actual and/or potential life threatening situations. For Surgical Technologists with a dual role in an ambulatory environment, additional responsibilities may include prepare patients for examinations and procedures in the surgical clinic setting assist the physician during patient examination and procedures in the clinic collect and label laboratory specimens for processing reinforce postoperative instructions under direction of physician or RN assist with incoming and outgoing patient calls under supervision of physician or RN remove sutures/ staples, change sterile and nonsterile dressings, following UNCHS policies and procedures, under direction of RN or physician perform other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the RN or physician schedule and post-surgical cases coordinate complex scheduling of cases which require additional surgical support update and file patient medical records.
2. SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST I-B (Competent) Perform all the duties and responsibilities of Surgical Technologist 1-A, plus Achieves target of room readiness on a consistent basis. Serve as a role model to new employees and other staff members. Establish and maintain sterile field and assure team maintains sterile environment independently. Anticipate the needs of the surgical team. Applies intermediate knowledge of instrumentation to several cases. Demonstrate appropriate and correct case preparation. Competent at unit level. Corrects deficiencies at the case level. Communicate effectively with patients, staff members and physicians. Adherence to standards including but not limited to unit and hospital policies and procedures, regulatory standards, and patient safety goals. Assume responsibility for self and ensures that the policies, procedures and safety practices of the Operating Room and Hospital are reinforced.
Other InformationOther information:
* Requires High School Diploma. Graduation from a Surgical Technology program.
* BLS required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
* Surgical Technologist I-A: Entry level position for new graduates of Surgical Technology program or Surgical Technologists with less than twelve (12) months of outside experience.
* Surgical Technologist I-B: Requires twelve (12) months of full-time equivalent Surgical Technology experience.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Job DetailsLegal Employer: STATEEntity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Labor & Delivery Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00Work Schedule: RotatingLocation of Job: US:NC:Chapel HillExempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
Keywords: UNC Health Care, Chapel Hill , Surgical Technologist- Labor and Delivery, Healthcare , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
here to apply!