RN Clinical Nurse IV Team Leader - Bone Marrow Transplant Unit
Company: UNC Health Care
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: March 17, 2023
*This position qualifies for our UNC Hospitals RN Incentive Program, which includes up to $20,000 commitment incentive or up to $25,000 tuition loan forgiveness. In addition, this position is also eligible for up to $10,000 in relocation assistance (based on location) and our employee referral program. Learn more about our UNC Hospitals RN Incentive Program here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-hospitals-nurse-incentive-programRN needed for Bone Marrow Transplant Unit/BMTU as Clinical Nurse IVHours: 36 hours a week, 12 hour shifts, Day/Night rotation with weekend rotation.
Position is eligible for comprehensive State benefit package including health, and retirement options and a generous PTO package.
The 24 bed BMTU cares for adult patients undergoing transplant for hematologic cancers, solid tumors, metabolic diseases and blood disorders. With the support of the entire Bone Marrow Transplant team, nurses provide exceptional care to our patients while applying critical thinking skills. Prior oncology or chemotherapy experience is preferred but not mandatory. We will provide you with the chemotherapy knowledge as well as disease specific training to provide quality nursing care to this patient population. Our 6 to 8 week orientation program is tailored to your existing skills and experience, with supplemental and specialty courses designed to expand your knowledge. It is a comprehensive stimulating education that, like our care, is second to none. Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Clinical Nurse IV practices at the level of an expert practitioner of nursing as defined by Benner, P. (1984). From Novice to Expert. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. The nurse at this level demonstrates expertise in caring for patients with multiple and complex problems. In addition to demonstrating clinical leadership on the unit, the Clinical Nurse IV serves as a resource and system-wide consultant to staff and participates in endeavors to increase nursing knowledge. The CN IV functions as a clinical leader.Responsibilities:
1. Clinical Nursing Practice - Promotes an environment that values diversity, open communication, teamwork and exceptional service. Ensures that appropriate care and services are available to patients, clients and families for assigned shift. Facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration in patient/client care planning to achieve desired patient outcomes. Coordinates care with interdisciplinary team members. Demonstrates and role models clinical expertise in specified patient population and shares expertise with other staff. Promotes and ensures the use of the nursing process to provide quality patient care. Assesses and anticipates patient and family learning needs and organizes resources to ensure that they are met. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan.
2. Education and Professional Development - Coordinates, designs and implements educational programs to meet identified learning needs of staff, patients and families. Promotes and ensures staff participation in continuing education, orientation, competency, in-service and staff development offerings. Participates in development and implementation of competency initiatives. Serves as an area of specialty consultant in the design of educational programs. Participates in development of and provides clinical expertise for patient education materials. Promotes professional growth of self and staff. Promotes a conducive environment for learning and provides educational experiences for students.
3. HR Management - Creates and promotes an environment conducive to recruiting and retaining staff. Provides feedback to Manager/Supervisor and Director to assist in hiring, promoting, transferring and terminating staff. Assists Nurse Manager by providing assigned staff with performance feedback and opportunity to set professional goals. Models and promotes behaviors that effectively give continual feedback to staff and colleagues. Integrates best practice standards regarding retention of staff in all aspects of practice.
4. Operational and Fiscal Management - Establishes and promotes standards of excellence for areas of responsibility and ensures consistent implementation by staff. Provides input about trends related to program development, space needs and fiscal realities. Ensures appropriate and adequate clinical staffing and skill mix to meet patient care needs on own shift and upcoming shift. Effectively uses clinical and financial information to assist Nurse Manager to establish and meet budgetary goals. Collaborates with Nurse Manager to implement strategies to increase revenue and cost-effectively manage personnel, supply and equipment resources. Evaluates the impact of strategic fiscal changes on quality outcomes. Assists Nurse Manager to ensure that internal and external regulatory standards are met or exceeded.
5. Research and Performance Improvement - Collaborates with Nurse Manager to evaluate research that is applicable to practice and promotes changes in standards of care as appropriate. Guides research development and implementation. Utilizes resources in asking research questions and applying appropriate research methods Shares knowledge with colleagues through publication, presentations or other means .Develops, implements and evaluates new and creative approaches to meeting goals. Leads, participates and promotes performance improvement initiatives that focus on identified patient safety or quality of care opportunities.
Other InformationOther information:
* Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from a school of professional nursing.
* Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certificationProfessional certification relevant to the practice area and on the ANCC Magnet approved list within the probationary period of employment.
Professional Experience Requirements:
* Eighteen (18) months of professional nursing experience in a tertiary care setting to include didactic and clinical experience in the area of assignment preferably with charge and precepting experience in the area of assignment.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Job DetailsLegal Employer: STATEEntity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Bone Marrow Transplant Unit Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00Work Schedule: RotatingLocation of Job: US:NC:Chapel HillExempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email [emailprotected] if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.
Keywords: UNC Health Care, Chapel Hill , RN Clinical Nurse IV Team Leader - Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Healthcare , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
here to apply!