RN New Graduate Nurse Medical Observation Unit
Company: UNC Health Care
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: March 9, 2023
Description Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.UNC Medical Center is hiring New Grad Nurses to join our Medical Observation team!New Graduate Nurse needed for Medical Observation Unit. In order to qualify for the UNC Medical Center New Graduate Residency program, candidates must currently be in their final semester of nursing school or recently graduated from nursing school within the past 12 months of the anticipated start date and worked as a RN for less than 6 months. The New Graduate Residency is a yearlong program supporting transition from academia to practice for new graduate nurses. Additionally, the program provides mentored clinical relationships to support development as a professional nurse. It is required for the applicant to pass the NCLEX exam and be a licensed RN prior to the first day of employment.
This position is for 36 hours per week; 12 hour variable shifts; weekdays and occasional weekends; full time benefits. 1 Memorial is a 25-bed Medical Observation Unit. The team provides care to adult observation patients with a variety of medical diagnoses to include cardiology work up; COPD exacerbation; Intravenous therapy; and abdominal pain work up. The environment is fast paced and requires a great deal of interdisciplinary collaboration and team work. The team facilitates admissions, treatments, transfers and discharges of patients. This unit is open 7 days a week and 24 hours per day.The staff on this unit will also be cross trained to staff 4 West, a 12-bed Medical Surgical Observation unit which provides care to varied adult population to include observation, extended recovery from PACU, and Medical Surgical acute care patients awaiting an inpatient bed assignment. Both 1 Memorial and 4 West are considered on team working in two locations, under the same management team. Summary:Provides competent clinical nursing care consistent with professional standards. Reporting and accountable to the Nurse Manager/Director, the Clinical Nurse is responsible for coordinating and delivering patient care utilizing the nursing process in a hospital setting.
1. Education - Participates in identifying and meeting learning needs of self. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs. With assistance, uses patient education materials relevant to patient population. Assesses readiness to learn of the patient/family/caregivers. Assesses developmental level of patient and factors affecting ability to learn.
2. Evaluation of Care - Identifies expected patient outcomes. Seeks guidance as needed in revision of plan of care. Participates in discussion with members of the interdisciplinary team in evaluation of patient care. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care.
3. Implementation - Demonstrates competence in care of patients with complex problems, including population-appropriate physical, psychosocial, educational and safety aspects of care. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan. Utilizes healthcare organization and nursing standards, policies and procedures in delivery of care. Organizes and prioritizes care according to patient/family needs. Consults with appropriate resources in a timely fashion regarding patients with complex care issues, unusual teaching needs and/or those at high risk for discharge planning.
4. Leadership - With assistance, develops goals to promote professional growth or minimize limitations. Achieves goals and objectives within identified time frame or renegotiates with supervisor. Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration. Participates in development and achievement of unit goals and performance improvement activities. Effectively uses communication systems. Participates in promoting cost-effective care. Gives feedback to co-workers. Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment. Promotes a safe, clean and secure hospital environment for all
5. Patient Assessment - Recognizes data from complex situations to determine priorities for care. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication to others. Assesses and anticipates discharge needs of individual patients and families. Develops relationships with families that promote their ability to advocate for the patient and their own needs.
6. Planning - Collaborates with patient/family to prepare or update the plan of care. Makes use of available multidisciplinary resources in planning care. Begins to use full range of communication as a means to convey planning. Identifies and addresses cultural and ethnic issues in planning patient care. Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
7. Research - Reads journals that contain studies or articles that may be applicable to practice. Brings ideas and questions to the staff at large for assessment of applicability.
Other InformationOther information:
* Graduation from a school of professional nursing.
* If hired after January 6, 2014, must be enrolled within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelor's degree with a major in Nursing or a Master's degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
* Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina by the day of clinical care.
* Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
* No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Job DetailsLegal Employer: STATEEntity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: UNCH Observ Unit Main Campus Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00Work Schedule: VariableLocation of Job: US:NC:Chapel HillExempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Keywords: UNC Health Care, Chapel Hill , RN New Graduate Nurse Medical Observation Unit, Healthcare , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
here to apply!