Registered Nurse (Experienced RN) Evening Shift-Hospice Home Team
Company: Duke Health
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: January 18, 2023
Duke Homecare & Hospice Duke Homecare & Hospice offers hospice,
home health and infusion services as well as serves as the home for
the Duke Caregiver Support Program. Our Hospice team works closely
with a patient's physician to provide comprehensive, individualized
care in the comfort their home or at our inpatient hospice facility
located in Durham. Our team of nurses, therapists, social workers,
counselors, and chaplains help patients and their families manage
advanced medical conditions. Duke Home Health provides services in
a patient's home that include skilled nursing, physical therapy,
occupational therapy, speech therapy, social service, home health
aides, and pain and wound management. Our infusion team comes to a
patient's home to administer intravenous medications, including
antibiotics and chemotherapy, to children and adults. Our nurses,
pharmacists, dietitians, and patient services coordinators work
under the direction of a patient's doctor to monitor needs and
treatment. -To have the opportunity to speak to someone further
about this position, please click this link to schedule with a
-Our team is active in delivering exemplary care for each patient
to ensure an excellent patient experience, every time. -Duke
HomeCare and Hospice differs from other home health companies in
-many amazing ways. Please see a list of some of those reasons
- Manageable caseloads and territories
- Commitment to safety for both patients and employees
- Mileage reimbursement rate equal to federal rate of
- Extensive orientation of 12+ weeks based on individual needs
-Shifts/Hours: 5-8 hour evenings (2 PM to 10 PM) -JOB
SUMMARY:Performs professional nursing care for patients in a
primary care setting (the home or alternate-site setting) according
to nursing practices, agency policies and regulations. Provide
nursing services to patients and families in accordance with the
scope of the RN as defined by the North Carolina Board of
Nursing.MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: -
- Plan, provide, supervise and document professional nursing care
utilizing the nursing process for patients in accordance with the
NC nurse practice act, physician orders and established policies
and procedures. - Uses professional nursing judgment to
individualize the plan of care based on assessment of the patient's
baseline needs and response to care.
- Utilize comprehensive assessment skills to plan priorities and
to set realistic outcomes; collaborate with healthcare team in the
evaluation and cost effectiveness of patient care.
- Assess educational needs of patients/families concerning
alterations in health, the disease process, and plan of care.
- Develop and implement an effective discharge plan for patients
to begin at the initiation of services.
- Obtain or develop appropriate educational resources for
patients/families; plan and implement appropriate educational
interventions; evaluate effectiveness and outcomes of
- Role model professional nursing through conduct, appearance,
communication, mutual respect, ethical decision-making, critical
thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Participate in weekly interdisciplinary team meetings and case
conferences, as necessary, to assure appropriate care and service
are provided to the patient.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid/JCAHO
standards thru inservices and workshop attendance.
- Assesses the severity of patient symptoms, communicate to the
physician and record significant findings, intervenes as
- Document care and services provided in accordance with DHCH
Policy and Procedures and regulatory standards.
- Complete documentation accurately, timely, concisely.
- Medication reconciliation and education to prevent adverse
events and readmission to hospital
- Observe patient's reactions to medications and reports
significant incidents to the physicians.
- Communicate regularly with team members, caregivers, and
- Follow infection control standard precautions and uses personal
protective equipment as required.
- Delegate and supervise care given by NCA's/LPN's.
- Develop plan of care for aides, assign care to aides based on
the skills of the aide, the availability of the aide for patient
care continuity, patient preference (when possible), and other
considerations as determined by the patient's care needs.
- Identify personal learning needs and implements corrective
action: assists in planning and conducting staff development
programs to improve DHCC effectiveness.
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining
required competencies, identifying learning needs and seeking
appropriate assistance or educational offerings.
- Implement agency policy, procedures and objectives.
- Work closely and collaboratively with agency billing staff to
ensure accuracy of billing.
- Maintain confidentiality of employee and patient
- Exhibit an attitude which promotes harmony and goodwill in the
- Display a clean, neat, professional appearance.
- Participate in Performance Improvement Program.
- Promote quality, comprehensive services through a team
- Perform other duties as assigned. -WORK ENVIRONMENT AND
REQUIREMENTS: -Perform Patient care primarily in the patient's
residence or skilled nursing facility (> 50%)Travel to and from
patient residence -PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS -Education and Formal
- Associate Degree or Diploma, Nursing required
- Registered Nurses are not required but encouraged to enroll in
a DUHS approved BSN program after completing two years of service
of their start date.
- BSN is not required for Health System Clinical Ladder
- Must have a current or compact RN licensure in the state of
- Current State of North Carolina Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation
Certificate (CPR) (American Heart Association only) -Professional
Work Experience & Requirements
- Two years of med-surgical, critical care or home
- Valid driver's license and current automobile insurance
- Prior experience in Home Health, Hospice or Infusion
- Prior OASIS and PDGM experience preferred for home health
-Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid regulations,
including JCAHO and DFS standards, ICD-9 Coding.
- Knowledge of scope of the registered nurse, licensed practical
nurse and NCA
- Knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing
- Ability to assess nursing needs of acute and chronically ill
patients and their families
- Ability to independently seek out resources and work
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients, families,
visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership
- Ability to teach patients and families in accordance with the
nursing plan of care
- Ability to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and
prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up
- Ability to use fine motor skills
- Ability to record activities, document assessments, plan of
care, interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient
- Ability to use computer and learn new software programs and
- Able to document and communicate pertinent information using
computer and/or paper documentation tools
- Knowledge in wound identification and treatments, infusion and
other advanced nursing skills
- Critical thinking skills and organization skills
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety
- Strong computer skills including MS Outlook, Word, Excel,
- Excellent rapport, understanding, and communication with the
patients and their family members
- Ability to work autonomously and independently in varying
- Able to withstand driving long distances, stooping, bending,
lifting 20 plus pounds, and climb stairs - Duke is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment
opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color,
disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. - Duke aspires to create a
community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and
belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of
ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our
perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve
this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community
feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals
are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our
community have a responsibility to uphold these values. - Essential
Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke
University Health System may include essentialjob functions that
require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional
information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation
will be provided by each hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Chapel Hill , Registered Nurse (Experienced RN) Evening Shift-Hospice Home Team, Healthcare , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!