Urban Projects Manager (Chapel Hill, NC or REMOTE)
Company: The Conservation Fund
Location: Chapel Hill
Posted on: November 16, 2022
TITLE : Urban Projects Manager LINE OF BUSINESS/DIVISION:
Conservation Services, Urban Parks and Water FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Urban Conservation Initiatives NUMBER OF
POSITIONS REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: 0 to 1 LOCATION: Arlington,
VA, Chapel Hill, NC, or remote POSITION SUMMARY The Conservation
Fund has developed an urban Parks with Purpose Program that focuses
on adding, improving and connecting neighborhood-scale greenspaces
in underserved and under-resourced urban neighborhoods as guided by
residents. The program is currently active in several Southeastern
and MidAtlantic cities, and the Fund is evaluating new
opportunities in other locations. The Urban Projects Manager will
occupy a frontline position in managing park and greenspace
development projects from initial concept to full design and
construction. The Manager will be responsible for coordinating work
on individual projects with contract consultants, non-profit
community and local partner organizations, and municipal or other
public agencies. Responsibilities also include coordinating with
the Director, other Program and local Conservation Fund staff on
the status of projects to meet project timetables, community and
partner expectations, and funder reporting requirements. Close
coordination with the local partner on community engagement,
project design, development of funding, project construction, and
communications is essential. Also essential for successful work in
underserved communities is a high level of cultural competency. The
incumbent should have high level of cultural competency as they
will be working in diverse, typically majority black, indigenous
and people of color (BIPOC) communities to shape greenspace
projects that serve the communities in the ways that they value.
Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19
vaccination or booster by date of hire to be considered. Proof of
vaccination required. RESPONSIBLITIES & SCOPE To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Manage project design, development, and site construction
including preliminary analyses, funding and cost analysis, work
plan development, project execution and results.
- Lead the development of workflows related to stakeholder
engagement and project completion, and track progress status via
project management software.
- Build relationships with a full range of stakeholders including
community-based organizations and non-governmental organizations,
local government and other interested parties.
- Coordinate design, development, and project construction with
various regional, state, federal agencies, key stakeholders,
neighborhood associations and partner organizations
- Work with project partners and design consultants to oversee
development of cost estimates and design, permitting and
- Research development and construction regulations and
- Work with the Director to establish project goals and with the
Director and Program Communications Manager to establish internal
and external communication strategies for ongoing projects.
- Prepare requests for proposals for technical expertise or
general construction needed for specific projects.
- Support the selection of consultants and general
- Review preliminary engineering, design, permitting and
construction documentation and make recommendations to the
Director, other Fund staff and partners.
- Continuously work to identify and resolve issues associated
with ongoing projects; collaborate with a variety of people
(internally and externally) to solve technical problems, including
those that are unanticipated.
- Organize and manage documents and files for reporting, as
needed. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- 3 to 5 years of direct experience in urban conservation or
environmental planning projects (such as restoration of natural
areas or features), construction, or landscape, architecture or
- Demonstrated project management and leadership experience.
- Demonstrated affinity for working with diverse populations,
specifically in urban communities, on the issues of, environmental
and climate protection, economic advancement, and personal
commitment to working to achieve greater equity and respect for
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to
manage multiple assignments over extended periods.
- Ability to set goals and priorities and work well under
pressure to meet deadlines. PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS &
- Bachelor's or Associates degree preferred.
- Project Management Certification (PMI) or equivalent
- DC Water Green Infrastructure Certification.
- Certification in one or more relevant trades or professional
licensure in one or more states. WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Work is performed in an office or home-office setting and on
- The position requires sporadically working long hours and/or
- Overnight travel is required.
- Estimated travel - 25%. COMPENSATION and BENEFITS This position
offers a competitive salary, opportunities to earn
performance-based bonus compensation and a highly competitive
package of benefits including employer contributions for health
care, paid holidays, vacation and personal/sick leave, retirement
plan and more. This job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties,
responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be
assigned at any time, with or without notice. To apply, please
submit cover letter and resume with your application To learn more
about The Conservation Fund, visit . The Conservation Fund, a
Non-Profit Corporation, is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully
and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of
Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran
Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and
Medical Leave status, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or
Expression. The Fund prohibits retaliation against individuals who
bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or
the government, or against any individuals who assist or practice
in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose
Keywords: The Conservation Fund, Chapel Hill , Urban Projects Manager (Chapel Hill, NC or REMOTE), Executive , Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!